Coronavirus disease is an infectious disease caused by a new virus that had not been previously identified in humans but mostly in animals. It is also known as COVID-19, where CO stands for Corona, VI stands for Virus, D for disease and 19 because it stared late 2019.
The coronavirus causes respiratory illness (like the flu) with symptoms such as a cough, fever, runny nose, sore throat and in more severe cases, pneumonia or breathing difficulties. It spreads primarily through contact with an infected person when they cough or sneeze, or through droplets of saliva or discharge from the nose.
At this moment, there is no vaccine to prevent coronavirus disease. However, medical experts and researchers around the world are working hard every day to develop a concrete and effective solution to the global pandemic (as declared by the World Health Organization (WHO)).
Protecting Yourself Against Coronavirus
You can reduce the risk of getting infected if you do the following:
- Clean your hands regularly with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water
- Cover nose and mouth when coughing and sneezing with a tissue or flexed elbow
- Always use paper tissues and dispose them in a closed distbin immediately after use
- Avoid close contact (1 metre or 3 feet) with anyone with cold or flu-like symptoms
- Follow WHO’s basic protective measures against the new virus
- If you have flu-like symptoms, stay at home and call your doctor.
- Do not touch your face, nose, mouth, eyes or other external part of you. When you do, wash your hands.
Treatments Against Coronavirus
Perhaps you already contacted the virus. These are things you can do.
If you have mild symptoms, stay at home until you’ve recovered. It is recommended that you stay at home for at least 14 days so you can relieve your symptoms. Use those days to rest and sleep well, keep warm, drink plenty of liquids, use a room humidifier or take a hot shower to help ease a sore throat and cough.
Consult your doctor for medical advice.
Please note, what you read above is not a recommendation from me. It is a summary of what has been popularly recommended by health organizations and governments of various countries.
For more information about the coronavirus, please visit the following sources: